Sunday, November 1, 2009

Marriage and Compromise



 One of the biggest things you learn while married; you don't always get what you want. You have to start compromising so both people can be happy. Gary and I are both very stubborn people, and admit we had trouble adjusting our first couple years of marriage. Of course, once we realized it, we both started working much harder on that aspect, and things have improved tremendously. Our 3rd year anniversary is coming up next month, and I can't believe how much we've grown and matured over these years.


 Now, on that note, today we had to deal with compromise. Last night wasn't a good night for me; I awoke several times unable to breathe. I relied on my nasal spray to get me through. When morning rolled around, I dragged myself out of bed and began getting ready for church/choir. I began speaking to Gary about choir, and hearing my voice, Gary asked if I was feeling well. I said I was fine, while coughing and sneezing. I then realized how selfish it would be of me to spread my nasty germs around church. I also recently learned that there have been 50 cases of swine flu in our ward, and with a current weakened immune system, that was another risk I wasn't willing to take. So, naturally, I'm home today. Gary's almost fully recovered, however, so I'm glad he's okay.


ANYway, onto the rest of the story. I curled up on the couch in my favorite blanket (although Dexter would argue, if he could, it's HIS favorite), and turned on HGTV. While dozing in and out and watching the channel, I began having thoughts about our dining room. When we first moved here, we decided to throw our dining room table outside, claiming we never use it anyways. We hardly did, I admit, but it was still nice having it there, ya know? When company came over, it was available. It always adds a nice touch to a place as well, right? Throughout the weeks, however, I started missing the idea. I hated having to go outside and eat when company was over. So, I brought it up to Gary, who shrugged it off. I began running ideas through my head, and came up with another plan. Again, he shrugged and said he didn't like the idea. So finally, thinking there was no other way, didn't mention it again. But I did want to start cleaning, which I started doing. Eventually Gary came up to me, and asked, "What about this?" He then added a new idea. So, we went with that.


I wanted, originally, to get rid of the black computer desk. I don't like it. I thought we could get rid of that, and use the computer on the brown desk instead. By getting rid of the black desk, using the smaller brown desk, and doing some arranging, we could make the table fit in the dining room. Gary wanted to keep the black desk, and didn't want to arrange anything. However, he mentioned how he could use a workstation outside where his tools would go, and he could work on things non-computer related. By doing this, we'd move the brown desk outside, fit the table inside, and do a lot of cleaning and organizing. So, it's what we did. Gary moved the furniture, I agreed to take the cleaning and organizing task. It's not completely what I wanted, yet not completely what he wanted. It's just part of marriage :) Anyway, here's the result:


We have 2 chairs right now, just for us. When company comes over, we'll just pull the table out and add 2 more.








And, the extra space now. Gary wants to put a gas grill next to the charcoal grill.



And his little tool workstation. This way, when he needs to work on something, he has space for that.



 It's much different downsizing from a 2 bedroom apartment to a 1 bedroom apartment, because we have to have arrangements we don't completely like. But it's okay. Most of you may remember our first apartment in Bakersfield. You know, the super super tiny one? This is much better than that. We're both very happy with this place, and the neighborhood. All the benefits that come with this place make up for the fact we lost space. And who says we need all that space anyway? :) For a 1 bedroom, this is a pretty large place anyway.


Okay, all that moving and cleaning is making me want a nap. Meds helped get me through the day so far, but I'm still ready for a nap because I'm not 100%. Still blah. But yeah, that's been the day so far. Bye!






















2 comments:

Megan said...

Yeah, Josh and I are still adjusting to that whole compromise thing. :) It definitely takes time and patience... a virtue I pray for every day, haha. But I think it turned out well with the table inside! Sad to hear you're sick, but thanks for not wanting to get us all sick, too... feel better soon!

carrin said...

I like your compromise and it will be nice to eat indoors as the weather changes

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...