Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!!

  Seriously one of my favorite Holidays! I believe it was my all-time favorite as a kid. Mostly because I loved dressing up and getting all that candy! There was always the ward Halloween parties, and trick-or-treating, etc. Christmas came as a second favorite while I was a kid, because of all the presents. This was before I really understood the whole spiritual aspect of it. Now that I'm older and understand Christmas, it's now my favorite. And not just the day, the whole season! I'm honestly already excited about putting our tree up a month from now and decorating for Christmas. After Christmas last year, Gary's parents gave us a beautiful Nativity set, as well as many other Christmas decorations; but since Christmas was over, I never got to display them. Now I get to this year, and I'm sooo excited!

 Anyway, this is a Halloween post, not Christmas :)

The ward Halloween (or what we named it- Spooky Spectacular) party had a pretty big turnout last night. I was never really a part of it, because I was helping to run everything, but I hope everyone had fun at least! There was lots of good food and desserts (which we never got to eat, either!), and we kept having to refill everything because it kept going so quickly. But it felt sooo good to help out with everything. We had a few dessert judges (Gary, Josh, Bishop Williams, and TJ), and they had their own little party trying out the desserts. I spent over an hour washing dishes near the end. Gary and I had been running late, and I felt so bad I wasn't able to help more with everything, so I stepped in and washed lots of dishes. So I hope that helped save some time for the Strangs, who had been working since 2:30 that day setting up.

So, our costumes. The plan was to leave and be at the party at 5:30 to help setup. Around 3, I mentioned Gary and I do costumes. We hadn't purchased anything, and had nothing to wear, so I had to throw a few ideas around in my head until we came up with something. Since I have a couple of silk kimono's, I thought I should dress as a Japanese doll (or Geisha, for that matter), and Gary could be a Samurai. So I made a run around town looking for toy Katanas, and eventually found what we needed at Walmart. I had been to a few other stores before Walmart, why didn't I go there first?? Anyway, the traffic was pretty bad, but to keep from stressing out, I just blasted my music and sang to myself until I got home.

They were still pretty ghetto, but they turned out well enough. Now, the pictures suck because we were literally running out the door, but here goes:
Gary's wearing my blue silk kimono, and yes, those are old curtains around him as well. Notice Dexter's interest?



We didn't get a full body of me, because we were running late, and I didn't care. So it's ugly. But I was wearing a black kimono. Totally looks like I'm trying to be sexy, but I'm not, lol. In fact, the camera shot this photo on it's own, before I was ready.



 I had originally purchased a black wig to go with it, but the wig was terrible. It made me look like a hooker mime. Seriously, it was bad. I had taken my camera to the party, but being so busy, I never got the chance to take any pictures. Oh well. :(  All is good, though!

 Anyway, stuff to do today. Hope everyone has a spectacular Halloween today!!

 PS- Blogger's picture thing is irritating me again.

 PPS- Poor husband has been sick this week. He did so much at the Halloween Party, I was surprised he survived it. When we got home, we crashed hard. The bed felt sooooo nice! Hopefully he'll be feeling much better today!!




























2 comments:

Megan said...

HAHAHAHA A hooker mime?! That's pretty darn funny. :) Good thing you have pretty dark hair, so it totally worked for you anyway! I thought you guys made a great geisha and samuri! Josh and I were cracking up about the curtains, but seriously, how clever?! We would have never known if you hadn't told us. :)

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for all the hard work you and Gary put into the "spooky spectacular" yesterday. It didn't go unnoticed by us, or I'm sure anyone else. We're so lucky to have such great people like you guys willing to sacrifice your time to give us a good time! So while I'm definitely bummed we didn't get to hang out more (although we were pretty late ourselves), I really appreciate you guys magnifying your callings!

Happy Halloween!!!

carrin said...

sure Emilee we know that was the look you were after! LOL Now send me your Christmas wish list...

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...