Friday, February 26, 2010

School

 Okay, so I'm officially enrolled and ready for school. I originally said the nursing program, but a few things have changed. First of all, I'd have to take a year of prerequisites, then I'd have to apply to the program. It would be a few years before I finish...and that's if I get into the program. Usually it's pretty crowded. Also, with a busy and full college, I may not even get the classes I desire when they're available...you get the picture, most of you have been there. Just too much time. Maybe someday.

So, instead, I went with another program; medical transcription. Most of you may have heard of it, but a medical transcriptionist, also known as an MT (or RMT when registered), is an allied health professional who deals with the process of transcription, or converting voice-recorded reports as dictated by physicians and/or other healthcare professionals, into text format. With this job, I can work in hospitals, doctors offices, veterinary hospitals, or even from home. A lot of women who stay at home with their kids (even here), do this. So it's a good job to make some extra income while staying at home.

I received my first book today, Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary, and my anatomy book will be here soon as well. I'll be studying:

medical terminology (obviously)
anatomy
physiology
the cardiovascular, urinary, digestive, and nervous systems
diseases, tests, procedures, and terminology abbreviations
the endocrine and sensory systems;
the blood, lymphatic and immune systems
and male and female reproductive systems
dermatology
otorhinolaryngology (ear nose and throat)
ophthalmology (a branch of medicine revolved around the eyes)
pulmonary medicine
cardiology
hematology
gastroenterology
endocrinology
obstetrics and gynecology, urology, nephrology, and orthopedics.
And then of course neurology, psychiatry, pathology, radiology, and pharmacology.

So, in sum, I pretty much have to know the human body and what medicines and diseases are associated with those above. I'm excited! I would become a doctor...but that's just too much school, haha.

I began today. The first unit I'm learning is pretty much revolved around the types of learning and how to be a good student. I also learned I'm a field dependent learner. :)

Okay, so that's the update with school! I've always wanted to be in the medical field, so this is good! The pay is pretty good; it just depends on who you work for and what surgeries and procedures are being performed.

So, that's that! Time to spend time with husband.

6 comments:

Sarah Smith said...

Sounds like fun! Good luck!

Megan said...

That is awesome!!! Are you doing school online, or going to CoC? Sounds like it's going to be intense but super intersting... wish you all the best!

carrin said...

wow good for you!

Em said...

Thanks, guys!
Megan, it's at Blackstone, not CoC. CoC is just full, and not only that, we make too much to qualify for financial aid. Blackstone has an excellent payment arrangement, which will actually save us tons of money in the end.

Carla said...

I got all excited cause my reader said that you posted something new... "Welcome to March" But it's not here after all :(

The Pollocks said...

It is now!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...