Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Women and Gaming

 As a lot of you know, I enjoy video games. Now, before I met Gary, I liked them somewhat and played every now and then. While we were first married, I mostly played Wii games like Mario-included Nintendo games and such.

 The first real online gaming experience I had was with WoW (World of Warcraft). While Gary and I were living in Bakersfield, he decided he wanted to get back into WoW. I was a little hesitant at first; I had heard of the game, but mostly horror stories of how addicting it can become. But, I tossed those fears aside and told Gary he could do whatever he wants. I know many wives who glare at their husbands at the thought of them playing video games, so since day 1 of our relationship, I told him, and myself, I would never be that way with him.  If he wanted a boys night with games, it was always fine; even if the boys night wasn't at our place. I let him play whenever he wants and however long he wants to play. I wanted, and still want, to be a supportive wife of his game playing. Besides, the man knows how to prioritize, and knows when to stop playing.

At this time, I was holding 2 jobs, and he was holding 2 jobs, as well as being a full time student. So, on his days off, he filled the gaps with game-playing. Most women would demand attention from their men, but I'm a bit of a private person myself, so I never cared. I'd read books, magazines, watch TV, or go out with friends while he did this. He did always turn it off for dinner time, and usually spent the rest of the evening with me, though. ANYway, he got WoW. While he'd play, I'd be reading or doing something else. Occasionally, I'd look up at his screen and watch him play little bits at a time. These little bits became bigger bits, and next thing you know, I was quite interested myself. One morning, while Gary was attending school, and I had the day off, I decided to look into it. I created a character and began playing. I found myself on that game until Gary came home that afternoon; not only surprised, but pleased to see me playing. At this point, he went over all my skills and helped me build my character and powers. Soon enough, I had the game installed on the laptop and we were playing together. We got some friends into the game and we were all playing at different locations and times together as well.

Eventually we moved out of Bakersfield and I began staying at home. This is when it became more of an issue, lol. I'd wake up early, make Gary's lunch, then immediately begin my Wow adventures. Next thing I knew, Gary would be home soon and I was rushing to clean up the apartment, lecturing myself for being on so long. Time really does pass quickly while playing, and it's quite common to lose track of time. This went on for a couple more weeks until I decided it was time to stop playing. I uninstalled it, and explained to Gary I was done playing. This made him happy, because I just spent too much time on it.

Now, onto shooter games. Gary loves shooters. His favorite type of games are RPGs (Role-Playing Games), like Mass Effect 2, and Zelda, etc. I always watched Gary play shooter games, but wouldn't play myself. Finally, he told me he wanted me to start playing Left 4 Dead 2. I did, and loved it! Eventually, when I felt confident enough, I started playing online through the Steam Community (via PC). Now I enjoy playing co-op shooters with Gary, and he enjoys that too. He says it's about time, haha.

Here's the thing about my topic. I'm a woman. Often times on Wow, I'd get hit on by men. Now, playing online with Left 4 Dead 2, I use Gary's display name, because it's more dude-sounding. I've actually been kicked from sessions because they'd discover I'm a girl. Other times, I'd be talked down to, hit on, or commanded around like I'm a total clueless noob. Which I'm not, I'm actually quite skilled at the game. Now, I know I have an option to type chat, but sometimes with zombies everywhere, it can be a pain. So, it's easier to speak into the mic. Some people have been friendly, some have been girls themselves, but it can seriously be difficult being a gamer on a mostly-guy internet world. In fact, earlier today, I was being called, "Sexy voice lady." My voice isn't sexy, btw, but honestly, it's just time I get used to these things. I'm still going to game, and people are going to deal with it. Some men have gotten mad because I outscored them...and hey, I'm a lady so I shouldn't be winning.

Anyway, that was my rather pointless blog for the day. I've been invited to play a campaign, so I'm on my way.

PS- if anyone plays this game online, that would be awesome to join! :) Oh, and this is no WoW. I can pause and turn it off whenever I'd like. No addiction here, seriously.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I've kinda been missing WoW :( Way too busy to play though. Anyway, I've found that as time progresses with a game, more and more females start playing. In my last stint with WoW, nearly half the other players were ladies.

Well, have fun! Once you start watching anime too I reserve the right to call you a nerd.

Megan said...

LOL "sexy voice girl!" that's something you should get Gary to start calling you. ;) haha Jk! Too funny that guys can be sexist on video games. They need to cease to be idiots! I'm glad to hear you're proving them wrong, though!

carrin said...

well now with school you may not have the time to play as much :)

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...