Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Testing and Other Things

 Okay, so you know how some schools offer learning testing, where you see if there's any sort of learning disability involved? I tried it out:

ADD..I scored high on this one. Apparently I suffer pretty badly from ADD. Not AD/HD, but just the regular ADD. Now, I already knew that one. I drive myself crazy with constant thoughts running through my head, and I have a horrible time focusing on things. I'm often forgetful as well. I find myself reading sentences over and over again, or I can read 2 pages of a book before realizing I'm reading, and have to go back and read it over again because I have no clue what happened. I also have a bit of a short fuse (as a lot of you know), blah blah blah. No surprise here. Guess I fit pretty well in Nursery then, right?


Disorientation: This means a shift of perception triggered by confusion or stress. This would make sense if I were still a child. But if I have had this, I've outgrown it. It's like living in an imaginary world and losing a sense of time and other things. Although I sometimes talk to myself while doing things, I'm definitely not playing in an imaginary world. Okay, sometimes. But not severely enough to run my life. Would this fit the description of me as a child? Definitely. The bell would ring for recess to be over, but while everyone was in class, I'd still be sitting on a swing, and I'd have to be called back to class via loudspeaker. I don't remember this at all, but my parents sure do. I'd be walking with my class to the computer lab, and next thing I knew, I was by myself and my class was already there. I'd have some sort of absent-minded seizure. One minute I'm in a crowd, next minute I'm standing alone, and I'd be highly confused and/or stressed. I did miss out on a lot of basic learning because I was never really...there. I still blank out at times, but never as severely as I did as a child. In fact, reading this section fits my childhood quite well. Heck, I was riding my bike as a kid, blanked out, and next thing I knew, I was in the street bleeding. I had never heard of Disorientation before until I read this. Makes sense...but not in my adulthood. Mum, was this ever mentioned by my doctors, or a possibility? Just curious. Did they even have an explanation for all my childhood problems? Lol. I had enough brain scans for them to find something, right? :)

Mild Dyslexia: I already knew this one. I'm a great reader, I'm great at writing, but sometimes I get very confused at the easiest statements or sentences, and have to have things explained to me on a slower level so I can understand. It's just a mild comprehension problem. In fact, I'd just call it slow learning, not really dyslexia. I've always been slow learner; and it can definitely be frustrating being married to a fast learner. Gary's extremely fast. I'm not so much. And I know it can be frustrating to him as well; he often times has to explain things to me over and over again until I get it.

That was pretty much it. As for coordination, reading and spelling, math and time management, I did fine. The self-esteem part could improve a bit, so I'll work on that.

But, I'm not going to have any sort of special teaching because of these scores. I want to learn like everybody else, and would rather not be treated specially. I wouldn't call it pride, it's just I believe I've overcome a lot of these obstacles, and if it means I have to work harder, then sobeit. Besides, I'm learning at my own pace, so no issues there.

Alright, time for stuff to do. Hope you enjoyed my pointless post for the day! Later peeps.





4 comments:

carrin said...

aww Emilee we love you anyway, LOL

Megan said...

Wow that's kind of scary about the disorientation thing... It seems like something that would be kind of important to know your child or student has so that you can keep a good eye on them and make sure they don't end up anywhere they're not supposed to be. Knowing that they have a disorientation or any other similar problem would probably be good to know as well so that you don't get as frustrated or think that a child is doing those things on purpose or to misbehave. I'm glad it seems to be something you've grown out of though!

P.S. I totally want to do the kickboxing with you if you're up for it! I tried registering online but for some reason it's not recognizing my address, so I'm just going to mail in my registration. I guess it starts on Thurs April 1st at 7pm. It'd be fun to carpool and exercise together! The mail in registration form is on page 73 of the below link, or you can try going on santa clarita parks and rec online and register that way.
http://www.santa-clarita.com/cityhall/parks/seasons/spring/2010/Seasons%20Spring%202010.pdf
If you decide not to do it, no worries! I've never tried this particular class or teacher, but it'll be really fun! Most of these classes are kind of do it your own level type of thing, so if it gets too intense you can just take it down a notch. Anyway, give me a call or text if you decide to do it or not! :)

carrin said...

I do remember hearing over the loud intercom, "Emilee Holsonbake report to class" just glad you never wondered off campus

carrin said...

You know I love you!!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...