Thursday, August 12, 2010

Plans and Stuff (There's That Word Again)

 Hey, everyone.

 So life is going pretty well thus far. Work, stuff, you know, the usual. Anyway, Gary and I have been discussing furthering our education, and put out a few plans.

 First of all, I'm going to finish my medical transcription courses, because I'd hate to just drop out of that. I'm doing well so far, with a 98%. I was disappointed at my last test, because I missed one darn answer (which I got right the first time before I changed it last minute). But anyway, I know it's something I can do from home when I become certified, but I also should have done more research about the job opportunities. It's hard to get started in that field, and the pay is crap. Of course, if you're lucky enough to find entry level work, once you get years of experience, then you can start earning decent money. At the same time, it's what you get for doing an easy trade school. You get what you pay for, right?

 Anyway, I was going over in my head subjects I can take to further my education. See, my problem is, I think too much. I haven't finished school because I won't just PICK something and go with it. There are too many things I like. It made me wish I took high school more seriously. I goofed off, copied notes, passed notes in class, had other people do my homework (if it was even done), etc. I was a terrible student with okay grades. I never took anything too seriously. Truth is, I couldn't tell you what subject I was good and bad at because I never made an effort. I looked at math problems and automatically went "nope".

 There's a show on Discovery called "The Colony". Some of you may have heard of it. It's on the second season right now, but Gary and I decided a couple of weeks ago to download the first season and watch it before getting into the second. A group of unpaid volunteers were kept in isolation for 78 hours, before being thrown out into a cut-off area of Los Angeles which simulates life after a global catastrophe. The volunteers, without being told what to do, have to live like this for 10 weeks. No food, no water, nothing. For 10 weeks they had to find food for themselves, find and purify their own water using charcoal and sand (and later using ozone). It was fascinating what they had to do. This season consisted of engineers from the electrical field, aerospace, and mechanical. Of course not everyone was an engineer. Just a few. There was a handyman, mechanic, marine biologist, and contractor. The second season has less scientific people, and more "ordinary" people, like a model, logger, inventor, etc. Anyway, there was a guy in his 50's who Gary and I called "the wizard." Everyone on the show called him professor, but he was more a wizard in my eyes. This guy was a genius! Seriously.

 
Every time the engineers would plan and build something, I found myself highly fascinated. Gary noticed this, and he got excited. He began explaining to me basic physics and calculus. Over the next few weeks, I came to the realization that actually like math. I know! Who knew? Surely I didn't know. Like stated above, I goofed off in high school, therefore never really giving myself the chance to know if I truly liked a subject or not. I never tried. While Gary was explaining math and physics to me, I was able to understand him and ask him many more questions. Finally, he told me to get my degree in engineering, and stick to it. So there.

CoC (College of the Canyons) here in Santa Clarita has a 2 year engineering program. I went over the courses, and planned it out. 2 years here, then a transfer to a 4-year. My plan right now is to specialize in mechanical engineering, but we'll see. Just a degree in engineering itself will do. Then I shall choose. I encouraged Gary to get his postgraduate degree in engineering himself. He would love that. Going back to school right now for him is a big leap, so I'm not pressuring him to make any decisions.  He does want to go to Cal Poly. Hey, if I get good enough grades in my courses, I may attempt a transfer there. But again, we'll see. There's also engineering in the medical field, and since I'll be a graduate of a health program at this point, it might help me get a good start.

Once I finish up my medical transcription courses and graduate (early 2011), I will begin my engineering program. I applied to the school and have already chatted with a few counselors. It's either this, or keep talking myself in circles about how I don't have my degree. I need to just DO it and stop whining. So there, again.

I know, it's a lot of math, a lot of physics, etc. I'm not sure how I'll do since I've never actually done those things before, but it's worth a shot, right?

Okay, so that's that.

In health related news, I have started a form of fertility treatment. Yay! And yes, we're covered. We're still doing paperwork to see what kind of physical procedures we're covered for (IVF, IUI, etc), but at least we're getting somewhere. The goal is to see if this will work. It induces ovulation each month (sometimes TOO well, according to women with multiples), and helps balance out hormones. I decided to read stories of women who take this drug, and they all swear by it...most of them stating that it got them pregnant after years of trying within a month or two. Talk about ovulation butt-kicking. I started the treatment yesterday because of my cycle day (pre-ovulatory phase). However, if I was later into my cycle, I would've had to put it off another month. So, progress has been made. I'm supposed to start taking it on about day 8 of my cycle, up until post-ovulation. Some women take it up until pregnancy because it's also a form of progesterone. I heart my doctor.

 Okay, I've spent way too much time on this blog. Bye!

3 comments:

Megan said...

How cool is that?! "Hi, I'm Emilee, and I'm a mechanical engineer." It has a nice ring to it! I always loved math in high school but was totally overwhelmed with the college math classes, but if you have that drive to do it, and it becomes your passion... AWESOME!

That's also super exciting about your new fertility treatment. I'll be crossing my fingers and toes for you guys to have a little Emilee and/or Gary coming soon! And if you end up having multiples, at least you had some experience with a bunch of crazy nursery kids, right?? :)

carrin said...

Yay!! I will keep my fingers crossed, I can just see you with 3 little Emilee's lol Seriously we'll pray for 1 little miracle and hey you never know about a field till you give it a shot! Scott got his engineering degree at Cal Poly. You do have those genes too, although you have dad's too *sigh just kidding, he's not good at math but definitely knows more about a little of everything than I ever will!

Carla said...

Most (if not all) jr. colleges require you to take a student development course as a gen ed requirement. If you take the career planning and education type one, it will be super beneficial!! You will definitely learn what your strengths and weaknesses are and it will help you discover interests and aptitude toward specific fields. I recommend taking that class in your first semester at college of the canyons.

Good luck with the education and the fertility.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...