Sunday, August 29, 2010

Just a Few Things

  First of all, I LOVE this weather!! I know Bakersfield has been experiencing great weather too. Makes me very excited for Fall to roll around. Dexter is the happiest cat because we've just been leaving the door open all day. He really is happy, too. I love seeing him so content like this; makes me feel like a good pet owner :)

  So, I started taking math; a lot of pre-calculus. It's to brush me up on the things I "learned" in high school. I thought I'd start off with that instead of jump into calculus and kill myself. Of course, this time I'm actually paying attention. I love it!! I love math! I never thought the day would come where I'd say this. Now I've given it a chance, and I really enjoy it! Sure, I need Gary's help on homework often, but still. I'm just very glad he's a math whiz. I actually look forward to studying everyday.  It's also smart to prepare for the 2-year engineering course coming up. Of course, like any other degree program, you need to get prereqs out of the way, so this is what I'm doing. Getting the precalc stuff out of the way before I dive into the harder stuff, since I never made my way to calculus in high school. I think advanced algebra was my highest. :)

Anyway, yes, I'm still finishing up my medical program. I was just anxious to get a head start on my engineering degree. I got all the anatomy and physiology out of the way (earning a 98% total for those courses), so now I'm just learning the basic office skills and medical ethics. I think I have maybe one more anatomy course to get rid of, and a few more advanced physiology courses, but so far so good. My last exam was a perfect score, so I am happy.

PetSmart has cut my hours down a lot, but it's not too big a deal. I did mention that I wanted a little more hours than 5-10 hours per week though, haha. But it's nice having more time to study and go to classes. Once I finish and get my medical diploma, I'm jumping into full-time. I wish I would have gotten my degree sooner, but no looking back on the past! I still have plenty of time to catch up. I eventually want turn my 2 year engineering degree into a 4 year, possibly postgraduate degree later in life, but my goal is to finish the 2 year program. This is at our local college, btw, not online. One of the things I considered besides mechanical engineering is being a health physicist. A health physicist studies radiation physics and radiation biology with the goal of informing the safe use of ionizing radiation. So I could work at a hospital, nuclear power plant; pretty much anything involving radiation. I really do have a lean toward physics, but I'll see! I'm going to go through the classes first to see what really gets my attention. And yes, I do plan on taking the class Carla recommended, to also help me see where I can go before I start the engineering program.

Anyway, just thought I'd update y'all with that information. Time to finish getting ready for church! Have a great, beautiful Sunday everyone!

PS- Gary's job was looking to hire a new entry-level programmer since there was an opening, but they weren't having any luck. Their applicants were either over-qualified (by far) or not qualified at all. When luck was running low, Gary had a brilliant idea and went to the bosses, and told them to place the ad at CSUB since they have a great computer science program. Sure enough, that same day, they had many applicants who qualified. After going through the interview process, they hired a guy who Gary soon recognized to be a student he tutored in the past. Pretty awesome, huh? Go Gary!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I also ADORE this weather! I honestly looked up at the sky as I was walking out of church today and had to ask in my head, "Really? Am I in the same place I was just a few days ago when it was 100 degrees out?" I'm not complaining though!

So awesome that you're having such a good time brushing up on your math! Best of luck with everything and all the classes you have ahead!

carrin said...

you go Emilee and good thinking Gary!!!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...