Friday, July 23, 2010

A Work in Progress

 I have a story :)

When I was first new at Petsmart, I was off cleaning tanks, when I heard my pet care manager talking about religion and God. From the sound of his words, he was being very skeptical about the existence of God and other things. He started talking about what religions really aren't Christian, and in the midst of that, mentioned the Mormons.

At this point, I jumped in and exclaimed I'm Mormon. I saw his face light up (in a bit of a dark way, haha), and he began going off about how we're really not Christians. I did my best to explain to him he was...misinformed. Lol.

Over the many weeks since, while we're working together in the pet care department, every now and then he'll toss in some tough questions. See, he went to a Christian school growing up, studied the bible and other things, and is rather knowledgeable about the scriptures (minus the BOM, of course). This makes his questions super tough. Since he knows the bible so well, he's always throwing comparisons at me. I do my best to answer, but have to admit, I'm not as great as I could be. I know he gets a kick out of this. I'm pretty sure he enjoys watching me struggle to find good answers.

Eventually, I had to sadly break the news with the fact I'm not perfect (shocking, huh??), but I'd still try my best to answer any questions he has.

Today, we were on another religious discussion. I knew I was slowly progressing and getting things more set in his mind about what we believe in. One of the the things he's having the hardest time understanding is tithing...why we are commanded to pay, why we have to "pay" to enter the temple of God (I know that's not what we do, but he sees it that way since we have to be full tithe payers to enter the temple). I attempted to answer best I can, but for some reason it's still stumping him.


Today, the following conversation goes as follows:

"At least you  make an effort to answer my questions. Some people will flat out say they don't know. In fact, I've spoken to many people about their religions, and it never makes sense, and they can never answer my questions. Pastors, ministers, you name it."

"Have you ever spoken to LDS missionaries?"

"Hah. No. I've spoken to other Mormons, though."

"But why not our missionaries?"

"They would probably just end up leaving because I'd stump them too."

"You really think so?"

"Probably."

"What if I dared you to try?"

"You would dare me?"

"Of course. You seem to have a lot of questions, I don't see why not. Besides, what can it hurt?"

"Hmm. Okay, then. Send missionaries my way and I'll see how well they can answer my questions."

"Will do."

As you can see above,  after many weeks, progress has been made! We'll just see how it goes from here.

If anybody has ANY tips on anything, please let me know! I know I can up my missionary skillz a bit, but I know there are more experienced converters out there. Of course I know our Heavenly Father is the best of them all. Many prayers are needed and have been said.

So, that's my story. :)

PS-  Another manager of mine is LDS, but very inactive.  Looks like I have more work to do after this one!

3 comments:

Carla said...

There is also mormon.org where one can chat with missionaries online. It also contains a plethora of information geared towards nonmembers and investigators.

Megan said...

wow, great story!! you're awesome, just having the courage to try to answer his questions and mentioning having the missionaries come visit him. I hope that your coworker starts to want to know the answers for real and not just to try to stump people, and that he will be able to see that we really are Christians through your great example! Just keep doing what you're doing, follow the Spirit as you answer his questions, and keep praying for him. :)

The Pollocks said...

Thanks everyone!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...