Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of July Weekend and Other Catch-ups

 I'm tired! I'm tempted to go back to sleep for a bit before I head into work. I had 7 days off in a row, so I'm kinda glad to be starting work again today. These past couple of weeks have been crazy, exhausting, overwhelming, etc. But, I'll be staying up instead! I only work 6 hours today, not too bad.

The weekend was rather busy. We left Thursday night around 10:30 and after I had just gotten off work. We headed out to Taft for Sam's funeral. We arrived in Taft pretty late and picked up a key from Gary's mother. The bishop of the Taft ward owns different homes around Taft, so he let us use one of them for our stay, which was very kind of him.

We arrived at the cute home, found our way to the master bedroom, pulled off our clothes from the day, brushed our teeth, and crashed. We were very tired! We awoke around 6:30-7am the next morning, showered, then headed off to his parents' house where we met other family members. Gary's oldest sister, KaRyn, and her family, were all there, as well as his sister Valerie, her family, and his brother Jeff and his family. After everyone finished getting ready and catching up with each other, we all headed out for the family viewing. We met in the Relief Society room, where we had a small, open casket service for family members. It was very sweet and touching. After, we met in the chapel for the main service. There were many, many people there. Sam touched the lives of a lot of people. It was a very sweet service, and Gary did a wonderful job with the Eulogy. I am very proud of him for being strong and doing such a hard task.

We then all drove to the grave-side service, which was very sweet as well.












Gary and I at the grave-side service.

After, we headed back to the ward building where we had lunch. There was so much food! It was so kind of everyone to bring so much of it.


The next few days we spent with family. Valerie and her family left town the day after the funeral, so Gary and I stayed the next nights at her family's home; as well as KaRyn and her family. Jeff and his family stayed with Gary's mom at her place. It was a long weekend, but it was very nice to spend so much family time.


We also had wonderful BBQ's, swam in their pool with everyone, and Gary was paid to do a belly-flop. Scott (KaRyn's husband) thought it would be funny to pay the kid who did the best belly-flop. He then asked Gary to participate. It was rather hilarious! We also celebrated Gary's 26th birthday with a delicious Snickers cake and a pool party.










Gary and his brother Jeff at the pool side, discussing techniques of BBQing, guns, and other man stuff.











Gary and his niece Bradee, Jeff's youngest, in the pool.










Unflattering picture, but Gary and I both in the pool together.



So, as you can see, while it was a sad event, we still had a great time with family. We headed out Sunday evening, where we picked up Jazmine from Bakersfield, then drove home Monday night. I had Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off for work, whereas Gary had Monday and Tuesday off.


The three days with Jazmine was pretty fun. Monday we spent killing zombies, getting ice cream, grocery shopping, and coloring Jazmine's hair black. Non permanent, might I add.


Tuesday, for Gary's birthday, we headed out to the Glendale Galleria (3-story indoor and outdoor mall), where we went shopping, tried on cute dresses, and had a blast. I never really got Gary a birthday present, so I owe him.










Jazmine sure enjoyed all the shopping. I hope so, anyway. She was fascinated with the size of this mall and the many shops. Gary was kind enough to let us into girly stores every now and then, too :)


After the mall shopping, we stopped by Fry's in Canoga Park, in hopes Gary would find himself a nice birthday present. Instead, he bought me a card reader, but didn't find anything for himself. Bummer. He needs himself something nice!
This is the Canoga Park Fry's; Jazmine loved how it was all Alice in Wonderland. I have a pic of Jazmine on my phone, but I can't seem to find the blue tooth connector, nor the microchip to save it. Oh, well...later. We went swimming that night. It was sure chilly outside! We were brave enough to swim in the water, but quickly jumped in the jacuzzi after.


Gary went back to work on Wednesday; so Jazmine and I, although planning on going to the gym, went for a walk instead. The weather was fantastic for it, and a little chilly. But we got out and headed to the lake, where we took a lap. Jazmine squealed at all the many cute turtles, naming the smallest one Squirt; promising she'd find a way to snatch it and take it home.












Low-quality shot of Squirt.













Jazmine pretending to jump in the lake and grab it














Cute little ducks following the turtles, and coming to us for food. They swarmed around the bridge, hoping we'd drop bread or something. Too bad we didn't have anything to feed them with.

We continued our lap around the lake, chatting away.

























Jazmine being a huge D-O-R-K with the fish fountains.

After our walk and showers, we sat down and watched Beverly Hills Ninja. She then packed up her stuff and I drove her back home. I sat with family for awhile, had a little dinner, then headed back home last night. I got home around 8pm. Sorry family, I was OUT of it when I was there. Just tired. Grannie tried having chatty conversations with me, but all I could do was nod and say a few words. I was just worn out from the past couple of weeks.

But, I go back to work today, so I'm looking forward to getting back on schedule.

This weather has also been a-mazing! It's like the almost-rain, cool and breezy coast weather. Doors and windows open, no AC. It's very chilly in the mornings and evenings. I love Santa Clarita! 



I suppose that's all for now. Bye everyone.


PS- I just received a message from Gary. He was given a HUGE raise!! And I mean giant! What exciting news! This wasn't an annual raise, either, so he's eligible for the annual in January. What a major difference this is going to make each month. I'm thinking a new car :) Lol, okay okay, we'll pay down some debt first. Then a house? Hehe.We'll see, we'll see. But holy cow! YAY FOR HUBBY!! Talk about a sweet birthday present!



3 comments:

Carla said...

So for Gary's birthday you went shopping and tried on dresses and went into girly stores? I would say that you definitely owe him.

YATA for the pay raise! Good job Gary. Merit-based raises are the sweetest.

By the way, I'm really glad Jazmine got to spend some time with you.

Megan said...

I'm tired just reading about all you've been up to. Hope you're able to catch up on some rest within the next few days. Spending time with family (especially the hubby) is the best, so I'm glad you've gotten a lot of that recently! That picture of Jazmine and the fish fountain made me LOL!

P.S. WOOHOOOOOOO FOR GARY! I know money isn't everything, but I'm sure that raise will be awesome for you guys! Congratulations! The Lord sure knows how to bless His children right at a time they need it. :)

carrin said...

yay for Gary, for the raise and shopping with Jazmine on his birthday. She loves her black hair, lol, thanks again for having her.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...