Thursday, May 13, 2010

Experimentation of Culture

 Totally random post.

 I've always been the adventurous type. However, traveling the world can be pretty darn expensive.

 Gary and I were having a discussion a couple of nights ago about different kinds of cultures and lifestyles. This created me to ask him, "If the US was not an option, which country would you want to spend your life in?" He thought about this for awhile, until he gave his answer, "Ireland". Okay, so when a visual of the Irish come up, I'm sure the first thing that comes to mind is beer. Of course that's not completely the case. He described the pros of what it would be like living there, and why he'd like it.

 I told him myself I've always had a fascination with Japanese culture. It even got me in the mood to change my blog layout, lol. I really don't know too much about it, just little things here and there. I've never studied Japanese, I've never studied the lifestyle there, but I've always had an interest in it. It's almost like there's a hidden beauty to it. The women are very feminine, delicate, and youthful. The men are what Gary calls "salary men". Hard workers who spend more hours working and have a big drive for success. There are many jobs in Japan that would perfectly fit Gary's interests. I came across a blog the other day of a guy who used to work in the US, then transferred over to Japan. He mentioned how the work was completely different in Japan. He was working more hours, and he said he's never worked so hard in his life. It's a differently lifestyle, obviously. Not everyone can adjust to it.

This got us on the subject of ancient militia, battles, etc. We discussed traveling to Greece in fascination of the Roman soldiers and history there, as well as the many castles of different countries, including Ireland.

Coming up with the money for these trips, well, would be nice. I know there are ways to "fly for free", and "travel cheap", but it's not very common and don't think it would fit with us. We're too young.

Anyway, our conversation lead to other topics of culture, food being one of them. We were discussing the different  types of food, the healthiest countries, etc. I told him it would be fun to learn the different cuisines of different countries. Learning how to cook like the Japanese or Greek, learning new recipes and styles. I especially want to learn how to cook healthier, and did a little research on the healthiest countries (which revolved not only around food, but environment, etc).

Since we can't exactly travel all around the world and try things out, I thought, "Why not at home?" We all know the best Japanese food will be found in Japan, and the best Greek food in Greece, but still. Who says I can't learn these traditions at home?

So, I'm going to try out something new and see how it works. I made a list of 12 different cuisines. I won't be able to start until the beginning of June, since we already have tons of groceries to last us until then; but my idea was to cook an assigned cuisine each month. For June, I will start with Greek. I will print up recipes, shop for Greek groceries and food, and if possible, try and find a grocery store specifically for that. I doubt that will be too possible, though, so I might stick with my regular grocery store. In the process of this, it will not only help me become a better cook, it will really expand my knowledge of different kinds of food around the world, and even different methods of cooking. I'll do my best to keep it authentic, too. Like I said, it won't be the real thing since we're here in America, but I'll learn. I know some foreign recipes take hours to make. If that's what it will take, I think it sounds fun. I might even be willing to order food from that country, like I did once in high school (ordered kangaroo meat for my "country" in Spanish class).


It was a sudden idea that sprung on me, and Gary liked the idea. With a new work schedule, I may not be able to do this everyday for dinner, but who says just dinner? Besides, I could always cook things the night before, or in the morning.

Anyway, if it works out, it works out. If not, it won't. Always something to try, though. I thought about keeping a blog of it all, but I don't know if anyone would read it. I will keep a personal journal at home about the experience, though, if I follow through.

I have definitely been in an adventurous mood this past week! Heck, I've even been looking up travel deals for kicks. Speaking of, I need to do the Catalina thing...

Well, that's that. Emilee being silly. Time for going to the bank, cutting up some meat, and studying. Bye!


2 comments:

Megan said...

That sounds like so much fun! I don't think I'm that adventurous... I'm lucky if I can cook just regular American food! haha I'd definitely be interested about reading about your cuisine adventures and what works and what doesn't though! That way if I ever have the time and energy to cook, I'd have a place I could go to get recommendations! ;)

carrin said...

sounds funny and could be yummy too, yes you better do the Catalina thing!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...