Monday, May 10, 2010

Dental Adventures

 Okay, so I've been going to the dentist almost regularly my entire life, nothing ever to fear. Basic checkup, cleaning, and sent home with no issues at all.

 I'd have to say today was the most terrifying dental experience ever. We switched from our old dentist to this new one here. It had been a little over a year since my last checkup because we had been searching for a new dentist.

We arrived half an hour early, to fill out paperwork since we're new patients. Apparently Gary hadn't been scheduled, but they slid him in anyway. I was called first, and so I went to my seat and had my x-rays done. I've always been very confident when it comes to my x-rays. 24 years old, never any dental problems. It would be the same this time around, right? Nope.

So, the our new dentist, Dr. Abri, shows up in the room and greets me. This man looks no older than 30, although I'm sure he's probably in his 30's. We have a chat about my dental history, and he acknowledges the fact I've never had a cavity before. I feel proud about this. He begins to discuss my x-rays, and then something quite sad happens. "I found two tiny cavities in your mouth, between your teeth." I didn't believe him at first. Not a chance; I've never had a cavity before, I take excellent care of my teeth, how could that be possible? He goes on to explain how tiny they are, and how they're between two of my bottom back teeth. How does that work?? Anyway, my facial expression slowly faded to sad, and the doctor was quite nice to me about it. Not only was that the news, he mentioned that I grind my teeth at night. He held a mirror up to my mouth to show the results of my grinding. My gums were a little higher and swollen. He recommended a night guard because of this. Nice. I knew I probably had a grinding issue because at times I'd wake up with a semi-sore mouth.

So, what has changed? The only thing I changed in my teeth hygienic routine was I went from flossing a few times a week to flossing daily. Lol. Gary says I probably floss too hard, which left me even more confused. But, I know, sometimes it just happens. And it's not like it was major. Still sad news, though.

Anyway, he disappears for a bit to greet Gary, and while that happened, it was time for my teeth cleaning. I can honestly say, that was the most painful teeth cleaning I have ever experienced. I was pretty certain the woman was hammering nails into my gums. My eyes watered, and I flinched repeatedly. She finally finished, and went along her way. I even attempted to text Gary a warning on a painful upcoming cleaning, which he later admitted hurt him as well.

So, then it was time for my fillings. Let me admit, I was a bit nervous. I've never had any mouth procedure done before. The doctor injected me with something, leaving the left side of my mouth numb. All I remember then was him pulling out drilling instruments and other things. I was actually surprised at myself for feeling a tad of fear while this was happening. However, it was over quickly and I hadn't felt a thing. Now I'm a little sore. It took hours before I could feel my mouth again, too.

For the first time in 24 years of my life, I had received my first cavity. I had also experienced a fear of the dentist this same day. Strange day indeed.

Was there anything wrong with this place? Not at all. The staff were very friendly, the dentist himself was very honest, open, and friendly as well. I wish the cleaning lady would have chilled a bit with the cleaning, but besides that, Gary and I decided we like this place. I just wish the visit didn't suck in terms of results and payments. Gary also decided he's going to switch from a DMO to a PPO for dental insurance. He went over with one of the dental ladies the options, and realized he'd be saving money if he switched over. That, and we'd be covered for more things.

Anyway, that was my wonderful adventure at the dentist today. Fun!

4 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I close my eyes when the dentist is working on me. Even during the cleaning. I hate seeing what's going in my mouth. I hate the dentist, which is why I haven't been in... *sigh* 2.5 years. I really need to find a dentist...

And, honestly, if the cleaning hurt, I'd change dentists! Especially if you don't have cavities so the only thing you get done is a cleaning... why have unnecessary pain?

Also, I didn't have cavities until I was 12... What changed? I started brushing more regularly.

Carla said...

Cavities (or a lack there of) are so genetic. Some people get them no matter how well they take care of their teeth. You're lucky you got your Momma's genes.

Megan said...

oh dang! Sorry to hear that you had cavities! Luckily they were just small ones! My mom didn't have any cavities until she was pregnant with my little brother... in her late 20s? So I guess it's bound to happen someday, haha.

And I'm sorry to hear your cleaning hurt so bad! I think that all depends on the hygenist. When I first switched over to my dentist the lady killed my teeth, but then I had a different lady the next time (and ever since) and she's much more gentle! If he has multiple hygenists that help him with cleanings, maybe you can request to NOT have the one you had the other day. :)

carrin said...

So what did they say about your bonding? Sorry about the tiny cavities, I just had my appointment and cleaning and still no cavities, hey I wasn't bragging :) It's totally genetic, you have great teeth, what can I say haha.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...