Monday, September 13, 2010

Better Steps

 It's not easy for me to always be Christ like. It's often a struggle. But I'm working on it.

At work, I've been trying really hard to get along with and like another coworker of mine. She's the one most gossiped about at lunch time-many people don't like her. Although I usually ignore any gossip at work, often times I have the same thoughts about her in my mind, which I try to look past. You see, she can be a bit of a know-it-all. Not only that, she's been labeled "Boss' Pet". She often sticks her nose in the wrong place and really knows how to take credit for everything. It can be difficult to like her. But I'm trying.

The other evening, it was rather busy. I was running Pet Care by myself (all the small animals, fish, reptiles, and crickets). While a co-worker or two was on break, she was the cashier. She's a dog trainer, but often works as a cashier when there are no present classes or backup is needed. Anyway, I had my hands full. People all around me were trying to get my attention to help them with fish. I was already helping a customer and was a tad distracted. Someone came in for crickets, and the girl called my name over the loud speaker at least 3 times in just a couple of minutes. I had to signal her to show her I was busy. She then asked, "So, are you available to get crickets?" "No, I'm really not. I have several customers who have been waiting, and I'm currently helping." Yes, I was a bit annoyed, but continued on anyway. She went and got the crickets herself.

I finished with my current customer, and began helping another. A few minutes later, when I helped bag the customer's fish, I walked by the cash register area to grab something (not sure what). Loudly, the coworker said, "You didn't give this guy the right fish. You do know that cichlids and tropical fish don't go together, right? You see, the cichlid is an aggressive fish and will kill the other. You never put them together. Next time you shouldn't do that. They should never go together. You gave him the wrong mix of fish." Note, this was loud. Everyone heard her lecture and I was pretty embarrassed. Of course I knew that. I'M the fish expert here. I know cichlids are aggressive, and I know they shouldn't go together. I just nodded my head, now slightly angry, and walked off to correct the guy's fish. He wasn't really happy himself. I apologized to him and helped him pick another fish. I looked like an idiot. Clearly I was distracted when my name kept being called over the loudspeaker as well as customers going "Excuse me, I need help too!" I didn't pay attention when I was bagging his fish. To make matters worse, my know-it-all coworker didn't pull me aside to tell me; instead, she made an announcement.

Finally, it was time for a break. Things had slowed down, and I went to the break room. The first thing I did was try to call Gary and complain about her. It went to his voicemail and I didn't bother leaving a message. I tried sending him a complaint text message at least 3 times, but always erased it to correct it, therefore never sending him anything at all. Finally I gave up and sat there quietly by myself. I knew I needed to think about the situation differently...to look on the bright side and not be so angry with her.

A little later, when the store was closed and we were finishing up, I stopped her when she walked by. I thanked her. I thanked her for catching my mistake and told her I was glad she caught that. Had that guy taken the fish home only to see a fish murder, he would've brought them back and I would've been in trouble for not paying attention. At this point, her face lit up and she was glad I thanked her. She then apologized for speaking loudly, claiming she was a little stressed herself from all the last-minute customers. She didn't mean to "lecture" me. It felt nice.

Like I said, many people don't like her, if any. Although it would be easy to see and understand WHY they don't like her, I'm trying to look past that get to know her a little more. I don't want to be on the outside with everyone else who constantly talk crap about her. In fact, I don't believe she has any friends on the job. The other co-workers get angry with her and go off and gossip, forming a little group. She's ticked me off several times, especially when she tries to play manager. But I must keep pushing forward to look past that. She's a nice girl. Most of the time, she's just trying to help which often comes off as, "I know more, I'm going to take the credit." She's helped a lot and has taught me a lot of tips. So, I'm trying to see the good in her. Hopefully I can become that one friend she doesn't have at work. Maybe this will get the others to shutup and get over it? I don't know.

It's not easy, but it's worth it. Find the good in a bad situation. Find the good in the person you can't stand. Keep working on it, it will get better.

Long, boring and pointless story. So I don't blame you if you didn't keep up with it :)

"...we must be careful, as we seek to become more and more godlike, that we do not become discouraged and lose hope. Becoming Christlike is a lifetime pursuit and very often involves growth and change that is slow, almost imperceptible. The scriptures record remarkable accounts of men whose lives changed dramatically, in an instant... But we must be cautious as we discuss these remarkable examples. Though they are real and powerful, they are the exception more than the rule. For every Paul, for every Enos, and for every King Lamoni, there are hundreds and thousands of people who find the process of repentance much more subtle, much more imperceptible. Day by day they move closer to the Lord, little realizing they are building a godlike life. They live quiet lives of goodness, service, and commitment. They are like the Lamanites, who the Lord said "were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not." (3 Ne. 9:20; italics added.)"
--Ezra Taft Benson, "A Mighty Change of Heart," Ensign, Oct. 1989

1 comment:

carrin said...

good for you Emilee, I am proud of you!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...