Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer Stuff

 Probably about time I post another blog, huh?

I suppose there's really not too much to update you with. We've both been pretty busy with work and other crazy things on our schedules.

First of all, welcome to June! The first day of summer is quickly approaching. Although I'm not a fan of hotter weather, I do enjoy summer days. Swimming, parties, grilling, naps, etc. In fact, it's making me miss working for the school district. :)

I have a lot of old co-workers on my Facebook, and I've been reading their posts about the end-of-the-year fevers going around; and not fever as in sick. It made me miss it all. I miss the crazy last weeks of school, I miss the crazy children to accompany it, I miss it all. It got me in the mood to look at school district jobs for the next school year. There was nothing in this area, but I found an activity leader job in Monrovia, Ca. I did a spur-of-the-moment application online, and submitted it. Then I decided it was best to sit down and think it over.
  • The city is almost an hour away. Was I nuts??
  • Getting a job with the school district is risky; I have a chance of getting laid off
  • If anything were to happen to the cars, how would I make it to work?
  • But the benefits! Paid holidays, vacations, and sick days!
  • I have experience, lots of experience, with the schools. I'd be getting a better paying job with something I'm good at, with less hours than full-time minimum wage 
  • The benefits! Summer vacation!
  • Pretty sure I was nuts to apply in the first place
  • Petsmart isn't all that bad!
Yes, those were thoughts Gary and I discussed. Chances are, I won't take the job in the end. It's too far and too risky.

Anyway, that was that.

Today is a day off of mine, as well as tomorrow. I like days off! Places to go, things to do, or simply nothing to do at all!

Yesterday was nice. I was able to leave work early, and prepare for my guests. Mom, Dad, Grannie, Jazmine, and her cousin Tiffny all came to visit. Gary grilled up hot dogs and chicken, and we all had a nice BBQ. It was nice having family over to visit. Good times, good times.

Ooh, another thing to add on about summer; I miss camping and fishing! I have not done any of those things since being married, because of Gary's allergies. I don't care now, I want my trip. We'll have to find a place okay for his allergies.

I booked our hotel at Catalina; the Seacrest Inn. It's a little bed and breakfast steps away from the beach; it's an inn mainly for couples. When I first booked, I accidentally booked the wrong date. I didn't notice this at all. When I found out there was a deposit, I wasn't sure if it was part of the full payment or separate. So I decided to call the hotel and find out. When I did so, the manager confirmed our stay dates, and that's when I realized I had booked the wrong dates to begin with. I then gave him the actual dates, and he goes, "Ooh, well, that room you wanted isn't available those dates. The next room up is more expensive (about $20 more)". I said, "Huh. Well, okay then." He proceeded to do the booking, and told me he had sent a confirmation email with the total cost. When I signed into my email and opened the confirmation, I became a happy person. The manager was kind enough to charge us the cheaper price for the better room. Yay for great service! I even called and thanked the guy for that. So, we saved $20/night thanks to him!

Speaking of saving, we're even saving money on boat tickets as well. I found these legit coupons online for $7.50 off the Catalina Express per person per boat ticket. Not only that, Costco sells Catalina Express $100 gift certificates for $80. With the discount and the gift card, we'll be saving about $20 on tickets. See, I told you Gary and I are always trying to find a good deal. That's how I roll :)

Okay, I suppose it's time to go. Gotta turn in the rent check (which is $500 cheaper thanks to signing another year lease, woot woot), then run a few more errands. Bye!

3 comments:

carrin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

Ahh... Catalina sounds so awesome! I hope you have an amazing time! And I totally understand how you feel about wanting to work in a school. Even if the one in Monrovia doesn't work out (that's definitely a long drive) hopefully other things will start popping up...although with the budget craziness it's not looking too promising at least right now. But things will happen the way they're supposed to happen!

Andrea Le Albee said...

I love Catalina so much!!! I hope you guys have a blast! I'm happy we can stay connected this way, it's so fun!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...