Thursday, September 24, 2009

Learning


(The Guatemala City Temple)

     Although I may not be the biggest fan when it comes to school, I still love to learn! Last night, I attended enrichment night. I'm very glad I did as well. My fatigue has been returning lately, so I'll have to speak with my doctor when my prescription runs out, and see if my levels have changed (which is common).
    
     Anyway, I really enjoyed the lessons. We had four different speakers, each a woman in the relief society, talked about the different kinds of learning. Lifelong, Spiritual, Service, and Friendship (through each other).


   Sister DeLaney, who seriously knows everything, spoke about lifelong learning. She has a lot of education, has taken many classes, and has been involved in many many things. She has her Masters, although the topic didn't revolve specifically around school itself. Just being curious in general and having a desire to learn was the idea. If there's a class, or a new hobby we're interested in, we should learn. If we don't enjoy the class we're taking, or realize it's not for us, that's okay! I love how she mentioned we're not children and our parents aren't telling us to stick with the class. It's okay to switch and try something new. She also mentioned how she loves reading, and learning for that. I've been in the same situation. I love reading adventure books...although fiction, there are always so many facts about history, science, etc. For example, the book I'm currently reading is about an adventurer who is in search of St. Paul's tomb, yet comes across belongings of Claudius (around the time of the eruption of Vesuvius), and realizes there may be a Gospel written by Christ himself. Although that part is fiction, there's SO many facts in history about the Roman Empire, times around the age of Claudius and Christ, etc. So I research those on my own out of curiousity, to learn more. This was a great lesson.

 Sister Christofferson spoke about Spiritual learning, which is always one of the best ways to learn. Reading the scriptures, the Ensign, and other church material. She mentioned how sometimes, when she has "mom brain", she'll pick up the children's version of the Book of Mormon,  and read that instead, since it's filled with pictures and she's able to see what she's reading...which helps her learn better. There are so many different methods of learning the Gospel. I love how Megan said she color codes specific topics when reading the scriptures, which gives her a better understanding, and she's able to look back and focus on specific things. Another sister said she's kept a scripture journal since the age of 16, and writes out how she feels about specific scriptures, sometimes pictures included (when done on the computer)...that way, when she looks back, she can see how she felt at the time, and how she feels now about it. All these wonderful ideas to learn spiritually; it's very important, in our busy lives, to find the time to learn...whether it be a few minutes in the car, waiting to pick up the kids, early in the morning, or just having Family Home Evening. There's infinite knowledge out there, and I always learn something new.

 Sister Larson spoke on the topic of service, and what we can do in our community to help. Cook a meal for the homeless shelter, volunteer at an animal shelter, visit a senior living area, be involved in your childrens' school(s); run for electives in the schools, etc. SO many things we can do to be involved in the community. We learn so much from service. I love what Elder Steven E. Snow said: "My grandfather taught me at an early age, 'The public service we render is the rent we pay for our place on earth'". Isn't that wonderful? Our families will be strengthened, we'll gain culteral, health, environmental, political, etc knowledge. Our leadership skills will be strengthened, as well as our communication skills. A sister spoke of her experience visiting a loved one in an old folks' home, and how during conversation, other seniors slowly began migrating toward her, so they could be involved as well...it just showed how lonely they were and how nobody regularly visited them.  President Hinkley said, "No man can be a true Latter-day Saint who is unneighborly, who does not reach out to assist and help others. It is inherent in the very nature of the gospel that we do so. My brothers and sisters, we cannot live unto ourselves".

And last, but not least, Sister Peterson spoke about learning through each other. We did a little activity where she'd ask a specific question, and we'd answer who we thought would match what was asked. For example, "I need help organizing my belongings. Who do I call?". I think it's so important we look to each other as brothers and sisters, and use our talents and skills to help one another. We all each have something we could use, and we shouldn't be afraid to step up and use those skills to help others.  Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. I think it's so important we make friends in our ward, and with our neighbors. There are many things which can be learned by doing this, and many things we are able to teach others. Our friendships will strengthen, and the example we leave behind will bring blessings upon us.

I'm so grateful for our Relief Society and this Gospel. So, I hope this wasn't too long for you to read, and I hope you all learned something :)

See some of you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Well if I ever need help being able to summarize something, I know I can come to you for that! You did a great job of capturing the highlights of last night! :)

It was a very informative evening, and made me strive to be better, which is what Relief Society and the Gospel are meant for, I think. And I also love that we do have that insight that we're all sisters, and treat each other accordingly.

I'm glad I have you as a friend!!!

Em said...

Aww, thanks!! Same here! :)

carrin said...

I am so glad you went, sounds like you had some wonderful speakers!!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...