Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Okay, I'll Share

 I'll go ahead and share what I found since I learned some good information.

 No, it wasn't a pearl, but that would have been pretty sweet. It's called sea glass. Sea glass is found along oceans and large lakes and have been tumbled and smoothed by the waves, water and sand. It creates smooth, frosted shards of glass. A lot of these pieces have been in the ocean for a hundred years, which you can usually tell by texture and frost.

 There are several different colors like white, brown, green, blue (all in different shades of those colors, too), yellow, gray, pink, red, etc. Pretty much any color.

 The rarest of all sea glass include orange and red. I found a red. The chance of finding a red is 1 in 5000. The reason it's so rare is because not many things were made with red glass. It could be from the warning light of an old ship, lantern, and stained glass way back when.

The quality of mine is really good. It's very smooth and frosted. I'm just not sure what I want to do with it.

Since it's extremely rare, I could always hang onto it. Some people say you can sell a single red piece up to $250. Others are saying a single piece isn't worth anything, you need more pieces of it. I checked out eBay but it's hard to tell what's real and what's not (people fake these things a lot using their own "sand tumbler").  Some aren't selling that high on eBay, some are. Maybe it's just something that you can't really put a price tag on?

A woman in my ward wants it for free. I was about ready to agree, but now I'm thinking I want to keep it. What do you think?

3 comments:

Carla said...

Go to Shell Beach just north of Pismo, lots of sea glass there, plus fun tide pools!

The Pollocks said...

Ooh, sounds fun! I'll check it out.

Andrea Le Albee said...

That sounds so interesting! Post a pic of it!
I hope all is well! :o)

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...