Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Gabriel John

Born: May 6th, 2016
Time: 8:41am
Stats: 8 lbs. 3.3 oz. 20 inches long

     Baby Gabriel is such a wonderful blessing and we love him so much!

     My official due date was May 8th. Throughout my pregnancy checkups, Gabe continued to measure 2-3 weeks ahead. While I was nearing the end of my due date, my doctor was concerned he would be too big and didn't want to risk having a c-section. So, she scheduled an induction to start the evening of May 5th. I was hesitant at first, but decided for it.

     Thursday night I was given a little cream to soften up my cervix. The plan was to start the actual Pictocin Friday morning. Well, come 3-4am Friday morning, my water broke on its own. Labor officially started from there as the contractions immediately kicked in. A few hours later, I opted to get an epidural. However, the only effect it had was numbing my left leg. I felt the contractions continue, but tried to rest anyway, telling myself it would eventually do a better job. A couple of hours had passed, the contractions continuing. My doctor popped in to check on me, said I was a four, then said she had a c-section to perform and she'd be right back. Suddenly the contractions were so intense I was shaking through them.

     About half an hour later, I decided I needed to call the nurse as I could feel Gabriel begin to work his way down. I told Gary he was coming NOW. Seconds later, the nurse popped in and I told her I felt the baby coming out and I had a strong urge to push. She immediately paged the doctor and checked me. Sure enough, he was coming out. Winded, the doctor ran in, and within 5 minutes our little boy had entered this world. He almost didn't fit because his shoulders were too wide, but I switched positions and he came out rather quickly from there. Considering the meds hadn't been properly working, I felt everything. However, pushing was actually a relief and it was really neat to experience and feel it.

    He has been such an amazing blessing. He has a big appetite and nurses about every 1-2 hours, except for evening time when he cluster feeds and won't leave my side. The nights are actually pretty good, as he wakes up 2-3 times to feed, then goes back to sleep. I've been truly blessed to have such a supportive husband who has taken over everything else while I've been a milk factory. I'm also trying to do my best to spend quality time with little Alex as well, who has taken everything like a champ. He gets upset when baby cries and tries to comfort him by handing him a toy or a blanket. He gives him kisses as well. But, for the most part, he just ignores him really. I'm sure it will take some time for him to get used to it all.

    Anyway, my heart is so insanely full! Some random pictures:

Getting in some Alex cuddles

At church the Sunday before

How he watches his baby music videos

Getting ready and feeling HUGE!

Our cute boy


Brothers meeting for the first time





     Welcome to the world, Gabriel!


   

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh he is SO CUTE!!! Congratulations! Can you believe you're a mommy of TWO now? So glad that Gary has been such a great support trying to balance it all! Sounds like things got pretty intense with Gabriel's birth, especially there at the end! But great job, I'm so glad everyone was healthy and happy at the end of it! Sending you some big hugs and well wishes!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...