Tuesday, May 31, 2016

3 Weeks!

 This little guy is now 3 weeks! So here's the update!



 A friend of mine told me that having a baby is easier the second time around- and I'm definitely agreeing so far! With Alex, I knew nothing and was always worried and panicky about every little thing. Now? Not so much! Of course I worry, but it's not obsessive. I'd say my biggest challenge is having a newborn AND a two-year old who is still adjusting. When Gabe starts initially crying, Alex tries to soothe him by holding his hand or giving him a toy or blanket. After awhile with no avail, he gets mad and wails along side him, then says firmly, "stop crying!" It's cute.

This kid eats a lot, though it took some time for him to get back to his birth weight. I was really excited about nursing this time around and was basically on a high for the first week. I didn't feel exhausted and I really enjoyed sitting in bed all day binge watching Parenthood while nursing. My milk came in early on the second day, and everything seemed fine. Then, the trouble started.

I knew I would be sore, but suddenly nursing became excruciating. I had TONS of milk that came in and was all over the place. No problem, I knew it would eventually balance out. However, I knew something else was off with his latch. Anyway, his 2 week appointment rolled around, and we discovered he had not reached his birth weight. No big deal, sometimes that happens. A few days later, there was another weight check and he still hadn't improved. The doctor started recommending supplementing on the side- just a little bit until his weight went up. He noticed a minor tongue-tie and referred me to an ENT, whom we visited the next day. The tongue was clipped, yet the unbearable pain continued. I knew it would take some time for his latch to improve from it, but I was still living on painkillers and pretty much crying every session because it hurt SO BAD. Finally, a couple of days before his 3 week weight check, I contacted a lactation consultant to come to my home.

The first thing she immediately noticed was how badly his upper lip was tied. He couldn't do the "fish lip" with it, like they're supposed to, meaning he was actually chomping down on me- hard. Plus, because of it, he was using his jaw to suck instead of his mouth. By now it was discovered I had some pretty bad nerve damage because of it, thus the continuing agony even after feeding. It was also discovered he was not able to draw out much milk because of it, meaning I couldn't fill him up. So, the triple feed was recommended (nurse, pump, give pumped milk). Exhausting, yes. However, on his 3 week, he still hadn't reached his birth weight, so the doctor became serious about the supplementing with formula. So, every time he gets formula, I pump to keep up my supply.

Today he had his visit with the pediatric dentist to release the tie via laser. He's sore, but I'm looking forward to finally seeing an improvement. It can take up to 10 days to have a noticeable improvement, so the triple feed will continue until his latch improves and I can go back to breastfeeding exclusively. It was pretty depressing and upsetting to discover I was having breastfeeding issues with this guy too, but I reminded myself how healthy Alex is, who also supplemented. I also told myself when he was a baby that I wasn't going to stress about it with another baby. So, I had to suck it up and tell myself not to get so worked up. If it doesn't work out, then okay.

The good news is today he has caught up and surpassed his birth weight, so we're on a good path! I'm still working with my consultant too, so I'm optimistic!

Besides that, everything is going pretty well. Alex has been naturally acting out more, but I try not to let it get to me. I do my best to spend as much time as I can with him. The guilt can be SO BAD sometimes, and I've found myself crying several times over it, but I know they will be best buddies someday.

Speaking of Alex, he turned 2 on Sunday! But that will be another post.

Gabe himself is doing well though! He sleeps on my chest at night, but it's the only way we can both really sleep. He'll do great in his Rock N Play, but I hate being woken up by him squirming and crying. At least on my chest, his rooting and movements wake me up, so I can quickly feed him and go back to sleep. Love this guy!
I love this post-feeding face of his! Lol!

Cute boys!


Seriously can't get enough of this!

Pretty much how it always is!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, I'm SO sorry breast-feeding has been such a hard experience this time around too! (I totally sympathize/empathize) and I'm crossing my fingers for you that you'll be able to have a better, less painful experience now that the tie has been taken care of. Ouchy ouchy ouchy, my girls twinge a little bit just thinking about that first few weeks of breastfeeding. hahaha But even though my boobs are screaming NO, those pics of sweet little Gabe make me so baby hungry!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...