Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend

 Gary and I both had a very interesting, but mostly fun fourth of July weekend. I worked Friday night, but we spent most of Saturday relaxing. I woke up early, went for my walk, and we went maybe a few places, but nothing more.

 I did buy myself a new digital camera though since I couldn't find the charger to my original. I ordered one on Amazon, but it came as a dud, so they sent me a second one; which again came as a dud. Gary then told me just to buy a new one anyway. So I did. Of course, when I came home, I used the PSP charger and whattya know- it charged my other camera. Oh, well. So now I have 2. That evening, we went to a Japanese restaurant called Kabuki where we had sushi and miso soup. I wasn't sure why I chose Salmon rolls for our specialty sushi since I'm not a fan of salmon, but I did so anyway. It was raw salmon and I really wasn't sure I liked it (not to mention the caviar wasn't helping). But we did enjoy the tuna and scallop rolls. The restaurant is in the Bridgeport marketplace and on the lake.




Sunday morning arrived and we headed off to church. We had a very full and nice fast and testimony meeting (it felt like most of the ward bore their testimony and we went over-but whatever). After primary, we decided last minute to head to Bakersfield to surprise everyone and go to the Shafter High free fireworks show. So, I drove us Bakersfield where we were able to visit family. The fireworks show was definitely nice. It was WARM in Bakersfield, but luckily it cooled off by the time the sun went down. Anyway, here are some pics.
James
Cute little Lexi with the fan blowing her hair.
Us  
 We had a lot of fun. After the show, we both headed out and drove back home where we crashed.

 The next morning, I awoke early, got into my workout clothes, and began my walk. However, as I walked toward my car, I noticed something really different about it. As I got closer, I began to see the shifted bumper and cosmetic damage to it. I hurriedly made my way toward there, hoping to see a note, but there wasn't a thing. I called the front office to let them know, then proceeded to call the sheriff's department as well. They sent a deputy out.

 From what the deputy saw as he glanced around at the skid marks,  the guy who hit me was probably intoxicated. He pulled into the empty space next to my car, slammed his brakes for some reason, and began backing up. He bumped into my car and instead of stopping and going forward, he continued gunning the gas pedal, pushing my car aside and therefore causing the damage. Idiot. Since we were able to pop the bumper back in, the deputy recommended I get a couple of estimates on the damage before contacting insurance or filing a police report. So, I'll have to do that this week.

 Later that evening, as I was back out at my car, a neighbor came up to me and told me he saw what had happened. It was about 12:30am, and he said the man driving the minivan was a young kid who had been drinking. He explained exactly what the deputy had guessed, but he also hit a couple of other cars on the way out. Unfortunately, all the guy could do was give me a description of the kid and the van and didn't make it on time to take a photo when he ran to get his camera (and it was dark).  Stupid kid. There's a young man who lives a couple of units down who always has tons of friends over and I ran into them all last night. A big part of me suspected one of them is the criminal, but there wasn't much I could do about it. Now I kind of wish I would have asked if any of them knew somebody who drives a Toyota Sienna and maybe mentioned I have a plate number. Ah, well. Coward kid. Mom and dad I'm sure raised him better than that. I don't understand people who hit-and-run. Grow a pair, be a man, and fess up. There are too many people in this world who run away from their problems like little girls. Heck, little girls probably have more guts to fess up than these scumbags. Sadly I've even dated men like that. Thank goodness I married Gary.

Anyway, that's that. The criminal did leave behind a part of his bumper, so I brought it inside. I looked up the part number, and for sure it's from a Toyota Sienna.

Moving on. When we heard loud popping sounds last night, I went out where the residents were gathered around watching the Town Center fireworks show. Many families and friends were gathered on their balconies and others were sitting on their cars or in the parking lot. I went to the end of our hallway (since our balcony faces the opposite way) and watched the super big finale. The cats were under the bed.

So, that was my interesting weekend. Time to get things done today!

2 comments:

Megan said...

those types of irresponsible people just get me roarin mad too... i'm sorry that you had to be the brunt of their bad choices and actions. maybe you'll see the car come visit again sometime soon and he'll get what's comin to him. i am glad you had an enjoyable rest of the weekend at least!

carrin said...

I was so surprised when you came down, it was great glad you got to come to Shafter with us!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...