Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Really AM Healthy-And Other Stuff

I got impatient yesterday. I hadn't received my results via mail yet, nor were they posted up on my medical group web page yet. Although the doctor said healthy, I just had to see for myself and compare...I'm crazy like that. Just a warning; I'm going to babble on about my results and health, so it may completely bore you.

Finally, yesterday, I sent an e-mail to the medical group, then called them 5 minutes later, haha. The nurse on the phone looked up my information, read me the note the doctor left me, then said it was mailed. So, I asked her politely if she would be willing to read me the results over the phone. She hesitated for a moment, then said there were a lot of results. So, I explained to her she could just give me the numbers and I'd figure out the rest. And she did; and I thanked her a lot for taking the time to do that for me. Then I searched away online.

Yup, I'm healthy. I'm going to go ahead and post my results on here.

Estradiol (Estrogen hormone) : 30.9

Progesterone: 0.3

LH: 9.4

FSH: 7.2

Testosterone: 40

TSH (Thyroid): 0.272

Prolactin: 8.9

According to my doctor's note, she did realize my thyroid was a bit on the low side. Okay, it's pretty low. That's why she wants to see me in a few months to check it again. I didn't understand the nurse's accent when she read the rest of the note, so I'm not sure what else my doctor said. This is what happens with Hashimoto's, though. Your thyroid hormone fluctuates; so technically, with this result above, I'm hyperthyroid. Funny. But it's better than the opposite, according to a girl online who also suffers from Hashi's. Her doctor said so anyway, and I believe it.

My only small concern now is my LH and FSH. While the results are both within very normal range, the fact my LH is higher than my FSH may be an indicator of PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). However, in most cases, testosterone would be raised as well...and my testosterone is on the lower end of the scale. But not everyone with PCOS has raised testosterone levels. The LH/FSH ratio of a normal healthy person is around 1:1. Usually higher than 2:1 may be considered diagnostic for PCOS. My ratio 1.3:1...slightly higher than normal. If I do in fact have PCOS, it's very mild. I don't believe I have it at all, but if for any reason I do, it's a mild case.

Anyway, those were my results and that was the update on my health.

In different news, the weekend was fun! We recorded conference for Saturday, so we didn't get to watch it yet (watching it in sections in the evening times is a marvelous way to keep the spirit). But we had fun ourselves. We discovered most Saturdays, Santa Clarita has what they call the "Saturday Garage Sale". A bunch of people meet in a large location (usually the Saugus Speedway), set up a booth, and sell their stuff. I can't believe we didn't know about this earlier! Since Gary and I both love bargain shopping, we went and checked it out. Although you can get the good stuff in the beginning, we like going near the end because people are more likely to give you a deal and just sell their stuff to get rid of it. So we drove over there (free parking and everything), and checked it out. There were a lot of neat things, but we ended up bringing home a whole lot of fresh fruits and nuts that were homegrown. Next on our list was an antique mall we went and checked out. We've been here before, but we still love going. It's a huge place of antiques. We saw these gorgeous bronze statues, and Gary loved them. $5000, so uh, no, but
they were nice to look at and pretend! Lots of neat things.
We stopped for chocolate-dipped ice cream, then headed home to get the fruit to stay fresh! We hung out at home for a bit, snacked on delicious fruit and hot dogs for lunch, caught up on some TV shows, then headed out again for a last minute trip.

While we had been sitting on the couch, I told Gary we should go to the ocean sometime. His face lit up, and he said, "Let's go right now." I asked, "seriously? Okay!" and jumped up and got ready. We stuffed a couple of towels in our bag, then headed out. It's sooo nice being so close to the ocean. Gary had been a bit congested earlier as well, so this definitely helped him clear up. The drive to the ocean is always really nice, since the 126 is never crowded, just free-flowing. We reached our destination in a little over half an hour, then spent our evening on the sand.
Just in time for the sunset:






And then a little of Ventura at night:


This spot on Ventura beach is gorgeous! And, parking is free! We discovered this on accident. The parking is literally steps away, behind oceanfront homes. And no, they're not private. But the area is a bit rocky, so if you want less rocky, you may have to go somewhere else. We didn't care, though...beautiful spot. And it doesn't get rocky until you get to the water itself, so the sand is nice and soft.

We also notice a big black owl on one of the homes. I've never seen an owl with seagulls before, lol. And yes, it was real.

After we spent time on the sand, enjoying the waves, we headed over to Oxnard and did a little bit of shopping. We stopped at a Border's on Esplanade, and purchased a few things, including a hot stone massage kit, rocks and everything included. It took a bit of studying the manual to figure out the technique, but it's so relaxing and worth it once you get it.

So, we headed home after our trip, and stayed up late. Much later than expected. First, Gary's phone got wet when Dexter knocked over a cup of water. I told him to use the rice technique, which he did after trying a few other things. Then, we just couldn't sleep. He came out on the couch, then back to the bedroom, and I went to the couch maybe 10 minutes later. Then Gary came out and told me he wanted me back in bed (so sweet), so I headed back. We didn't fall asleep until close to 4am! It was nuts. We did get up and watch conference, though. It was very spiritual and wonderful to spend time together and listen to such inspirational talks. The rest of Sunday was relaxing and extremely peaceful.

Because the sleep schedule had been thrown off, Gary came home from work yesterday and immediately crashed on the couch for a nap. So did a couple of others:

Had to sneak that picture in!

 Anyway, this post is long, so thank you for reading it! If you did. Once Gary realized the ocean is much closer than expected, he explained to me how much he loves the drive there, and wants to do it much more often now. He's even considering moving to the beach because of how the salty air is an amazing cure to his allergies. So we'll see. We'll probably go more often in the evening times now, but he took Monday off, so we'll get to spend an entire day there. Fun stuff!

Well, that's all peeps. Bye!

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I'm jealous! I want to go to the beach, but I don't know when we'll be able to.

I also cannot wait until the conference talks are online (Thursday!) (the text anyway, since the video/audio archive is already there) because I have to be able to read it to REALLY get it. Listening is just so hard for me. Anyway, what I internalized from conference this weekend was awesome, so I can't wait to see what I missed.

Megan said...

Ah! Now you've made me want to go to the beach!!! Dang. Maybe we'll get a chance to go sometime soon. It sure is nice having it so close!
glad you had a great weekend!!!

Carla said...

We missed you on Easter but glad you got to relax. And by the way, your cats are huge now.

carrin said...

I wish I was only 30 minutes from Ventura, I still want to move there, the weather is perfect!!! And great on the allergies, everything blows out every afternoon with the ocean breeze. Glad you had fun, and I love the 126 drive too!!

carrin said...

ps glad you are healthy

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...