Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Our August

      The weather in Texas during August is really exciting stuff. I know, Southern California gets pretty hot too- just minus the humidity. We hit some nice triple digits for a couple of weeks. It seems to be cooling down this week though, and the rain is coming back a little. When we first moved in, we had storms nightly for about 2-3 weeks, then it calmed down to no rain, but now the sprinkles seem to be returning. If only we could send some of the rain over to California!

     Since it's been so hot, Alex and I haven't done much park hopping. We've basically been avoiding outside time all together. There's some indoor fun he enjoys though. There's a place called Mt. Playmore, and he's free. It only costs me $1.50 to get in, so I just grab some change and we head over there. He runs around like crazy in the toddler area and has a blast. I guess it used to be a Discovery Zone, or it's something like that. I remember Discovery Zone was the coolest place as a kid.



One of the bouncy toys at Mt. Playmore


     Speaking of discovery, we're still enjoying exploring everything around us. Gary and I had a date night at Top Golf, a high tech golfing venue. It was SO much fun! We had dinner there, then played some rounds. The goal was to hit the ball off of this rooftop area into colored nets spread out on the field. Depending on where you hit it will depend on your points. It's really a perfect date night and group date night area.






      We also took Alex to play so miniature golf on Lake Travis. He had a blast running around with his little club and having daddy help him hit the ball. It was a kid-friendly place, so we weren't worried about taking him. He did great. And the views weren't too bad either.



Having a blast, as you can see


      My new job teaching piano has been going pretty well too. During July, I taught a few hours each day at the summer camps, but during the school year it will only be about 90 minutes in the afternoon- which is perfect because I still get lots of Alex time. I also am doing a couple of private lessons in the evenings.

      Well, speaking of teaching, I am officially going back to school full time this fall at a Texas University (Western Governors University, Texas). I spent most of July taking all of the necessary steps to get started. Not everyone gets accepted, so I was happy when I was accepted into the Teacher's College to earn my degree in interdisciplinary studies. Not only will I earn my degree, but the program includes the student teaching and all of the steps to become a teacher. I was also happy to discover that many of the units I took at Bakersfield College were able to get transferred over, so it cut down some of the time to finish. Alex will be in school when I finish anyway, but I'm excited to do this.

     I never really knew what I wanted to do educationally- all I really knew I wanted was to be a mom. I think it's what prevented me from really pursuing an education. I never imagined it would take so long to get pregnant, but I still believe everything happened for a reason and it was all in God's planning. I thought I wanted to go into healthcare, but it just never seemed right. Teaching was always on the back of my mind, but since I was already working the schools, I just never really got around to moving it any further. I've been working in education for about 10 years, so I kept thinking about whether I wanted to teach or not. It wasn't until after Alex was born everything seemed to fall into place and it seemed like the right move.

    Growing up, my mom worked at the elementary school we went to- and it was wonderful. We saw her everyday, and she was always home when we were. She had summers off, winter break off, spring break- you know, the typically school holidays off, and it was really nice. Especially since my dad worked for the county in law enforcement, and his hours sometimes got crazy.

     Then, of course, my older brother is a 5th grade teacher, so I think the education gene just runs in our line ;). Honestly, I don't know if I would've started working for the schools if it weren't for my mom. She urged me to apply when I was 18 for an after school job, and when I did so, I was hired. There were so many other young applicants, but the vice principal saw my last name and said, "Yes! I love Holsonbakes!" So, that began. Thanks, Mom ;).

     Okay, long post. Till next time! 


   

2 comments:

Megan said...

That's so awesome that you're going back to school! You will be an awesome teacher. It's funny, I have my degree in El Ed, and I'm wondering if I really want to go back into it when/if I decide to go back to work. We'll see how I feel in a few years I guess! And how did I not know that you played piano? How fun that you have a talent you can share!

Carla said...

I miss you crazies. I'm going to save some PTO time so we can plan a Texas trip.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...