Friday, June 27, 2014

4 Weeks Old!

   
Love those chubby legs!
 I love my little guy so much! He is just a cute little bundle of fun and joy. The fun part- he's doing real smiles now. THE BEST! He really is a good baby and I just want to squeeze and kiss him all day (I probably do this anyway). Anyway, he turned 4 weeks old yesterday. Four weeks! His "official" one month birthday is on Sunday, but close enough.


     First of all, he is growing very well. He still has a big appetite, but I've cut back on giving him big feedings after 3-4 hours and instead he eats about every 2 hours with smaller portions (the first method can cause gas/colic/other stomach issues). Breastfeeding has actually improved, but there have still been some struggles. The good news is he latches perfectly again. Sometimes it's all about positioning. Doing the "standard" positions gets him squirming, but I've been creative enough to find positions that work for him- and sometimes he'll drink until he's burped and not wanting anymore. I think it might be some gas- he squirms to let out some wind, and basically pulls me further than I'm comfortable, and when I try to re-position him, he cries and gets frustrated. Sometimes it's my let-down too. At times it's too fast and he pulls away coughing, and other times it's too slow and he get impatient. Still a work in progress, but it's going uphill. As for pumping, it's pretty much become impossible for me to do it as often as I used to (he's awake more often now), and I think it might be decreasing my supply- because when I do pump, it's barely a thing (half of what I used to). I don't know if this is because he's feeding from me more, or I'm simply getting low on supply because I'm not "draining" them out every time he feeds and I'm pumping less. Who knows. I wish I would have been educated about this whole feeding thing before he came along. I just assumed I'd have this abundant supply and could feed him tons. I never imagined this would be so challenging. 

     Anyway, speaking of him being awake more- goodness! I don't know if this is a phase of a 4-week old, but holy cow is he needy! It's impossible to get things done sometimes (he's finally asleep now as he's been awake since 7:30 this morning, so I'm squeezing this blog in before I get some other things done).  I do try and focus on doing more chores when Gary is home and playing with him. But that boy just wants to be held all the time and needs constant attention. The Ergobaby is a hit and miss. Sometimes he does fine in it, other times he'll cry because he wants to be held differently. I swear this boy is picky about positioning. But anyway, he is awake a lot during the day and as much as I love playing and being with him, if he stays up too long, he gets way super fussy in the evenings. One evening he was awake from 3pm to 10pm- and he was screaming out of sheer exhaustion, but would not go to sleep. Eventually I managed to get him to fall asleep on me long enough for me to transfer him to his bassinet. We're still learning here! But I'm not complaining- he's still my perfect little man. 

    Also, he is still an excellent night sleeper. After I feed and change him in the night, he conks right back out again. I probably get a good 5-6 hours of sleep each night. We're very big on unwinding him, massaging him with bedtime lotion, and getting him in the right environment and he is just out. Even when I manage to get him to sleep more during the day, he still sleeps great in the night. I hope he keeps this up, but we'll see! 

  One big thing he loves the most and soothes the heck out of him is skin-to-skin. Oh, my, I can't stress enough how important this is for the both of us! He just loves it and he is zoned out and happy or sleeping the entire time. This morning after feeding him, he fell right to sleep on me and we napped for an hour. Okay, I know sleeping with him on me is advised against, but it was so nice! We also took a bath together later and he just loved it and was so relaxed. I read this really interesting article about the importance of skin-to-skin contact and something called the Kangaroo Mother Care. It definitely got my attention and I can already see the benefits of it : Kangaroo Mother Care.

     Anyway, he is doing great. Mom's still doing the best, even if she has total fail moments. For example, his neurology appointment. He had a regular checkup with his neurologist, and he was great the whole time. Active, awake, and relaxed. After the appointment, we went right over to the pharmacy to pick up his prescription (we are switching him seizure medications after all). I dropped it off and was told it would be a 20 minute wait. Glancing around the pharmacy waiting area, I see a bunch of sick people and kids sitting there and coughing. So, we go outside where it's nice and warm. I walk him around for a bit, sit with him (he's in his stroller), and we hang out. His feeding time is approaching, so we go back to the pharmacy after time is up and pick it up. Suddenly he is wailing. I try and talk and soothe him while the clerk tells me the medicine is $75. Um, no, check again. She tells me he's not in the system. I tell her he is in the system and I'm not paying $75 (I really was trying to be polite, but with a crying baby...). Finally she gets a manager to override it, and they just hand me the medication and I leave. I'm wheeling him out to the car, thinking he's just hungry, but the crying gets louder and he's really starting to scream. Finally I get to the car, open the hood of his car seat, unbuckle him, and pull him out. He immediately goes quiet and calm- and I discover he is completely sweaty- and hot. Guilt hit me like no other- he was just melting in that seat. I had him in there WAY too long, even in the heat. Poor, poor guy. Trying not to cry, I carried him to the front seat where I turned on the car and had the air conditioner blast on him until he cooled off and fell asleep. Mother of the year right there!

   Okay, well, I should probably go rest/get a few things done while the monkey is sleeping.  

Getting better!

I can see things better! (Swing in motion)

Music Time!

He sure loves these times of the day!

EEG appointment. Slept the whole time!

Happy baby in the morning! 

2 comments:

Megan said...

He's so dang handsome! And really a perfect blend of both you and Gary, I see both of you in him! You are doing an amazing job with him! Don't be too hard on yourself. Poor Ethan got hot and sweaty like that today... it happens in this horrible summer weather, and it's so hard to prevent in those not very breathable car seats if you're not in air conditioning. Better that he be a little hot and uncomfortable for a few minutes than exposed to who knows what illnesses. You're amazing, and yes, we need to plan a time to get these little boys together for a play date! :)

Carla said...

Don't be hard on yourself. You're an excellent momma and he's an awesome little baby. Can't wait to see him again!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...