Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Love November

  I can never decide which month I love the most: October or November. October is when the real change from summer to fall hits; regardless of the first day of autumn being in September. October is also my birth month- which of course is always the coolest. As for Halloween, it used to be my favorite holiday. The scary movies, the candy, the whole atmosphere of it. However, this time around, I just didn't feel it.  I stayed away from candy (okay, I had a few pieces), watched maybe a couple of scary movies with Gary, had a small get-together with friends, and that was about it. No costumes or anything; we didn't even stop at any Halloween stores this year. It just kind of passed by. Less spending in the long run, so that's always a good thing. And we missed our ward party this year. Of course, this was because I thought it was on a Friday night (the night we got together with friends), and discovered too late it was on Saturday. Whoops. The get-together was fun though. Gary and I rented out our theater and invited a group of friends/couples to watch a scary movie. We ate popcorn, amazing cupcakes, delicious spinach and artichoke dip, etc. Mmm. There were 10 of us, so seeing a movie in our apartment wasn't going to happen- so we used the theater instead- and thankfully got our full deposit back because we kept it so clean. :)

But November; November is different. A new spirit arrives. Halloween is gone and done, and now a more peaceful, cheerful, and uplifting presence shows itself. It's a happy month. Cold, but not as cold as December, January or February. Fall decorations start showing, stores begin their festivities and displays. It's just a happy month. So you know what? I'm choosing November.

I do have to admit I get a little annoyed at all the Christmas decorations and such. I know many people agree with me when I say this month should be about Thanksgiving. It's such an important holiday but seems to be lightly tread over because everyone becomes obsessed with Christmastime. Heck, I heard Christmas music in a store yesterday- I mean, really? Chill out, Sparky.

 You tell him, turkey!

 I'm excited about this month; I love seeing and being with my family. I love being able to truly count my blessings and find gratitude in everything. It's something I should be doing more often year-round, of course, but it feels so special this month. And let's definitely not forget to remember our pioneers and the suffering they went through for their families and our future.

 Anyway, I suppose I should start getting ready for church. It has been hecka-cold here and raining like crazy. But despite that, I am grateful for the changes as well!

 Just real quick, Gary and I decided to get something nice for ourselves (mostly him since I kind of "stole" the Nookbook). We bought the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. It's pretty stinking awesome and can pretty much do everything (it's an ipad competitor, and we're not really Apple fans). We love it.
 

PS- Two new fitness updates and my argument with the scale.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I'm glad you got your deposit back! Thanks for hosting the get-together! It was fun as always seeing you guys!

I heard Christmas music and smelled Christmas smells in Walmart yesterday, and while they were both heavenly, I definitely wished they could hold off a little bit so that we can focus on this wonderful month of thanksgiving.

carrin said...

Yes I wish all the decorations didn't come out until Dec. Of course I Christmas shop early but I don't want to hear all the music and see all the decorations until Dec. I am loving the cooler weather and finally the time change. Looking forward to having you here for Thanksgiving!!!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...