Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Going For It

     I decided I'm going all-in. I've spent too much time thinking and planning and looking things up, but finally I'm taking action. I'm going back to school full-time this fall.

     Although I do have a medical transcription diploma, it doesn't seem like enough. So, I told myself I'm young and to stop procrastinating and to actually go to real college. Recently I've been looking around at community colleges and universities nearby. We have a couple near us, but they didn't have the programs I was looking for. So, I looked at the colleges near other counties; Ventura county for that matter. Lo and behold, they have programs I'm looking for.

 So, I applied to Moorpark community college in Ventura county, got accepted, went to orientation, took the assessment tests, and am driving down there today to see a counselor and get registered and ready for this fall. I even called my high school and had them mail my transcripts over. I have a set goal on what I'm exactly going to do.

     My plan is to graduate with a degree in science, my major being radiologic technology. Blackstone said they are willing to send my medical transcripts to the college, but I am uncertain if the college will accept it or not. If so, that would knock a few classes off the to-do list; which would be wonderful so I know I didn't waste my money and time learning all of that medical terminology and anatomy.

 The last year of school will require me to do clinical work in a lab. The work will be mingled with other classes so I don't have to worry about an extra year tagging along (thank goodness). The clinical lab work is wonderful because it will be giving me experience at an actual hospital/clinic; so I don't graduate and find myself searching for entry-level jobs in the field (they do have job placement).

 So why did I choose this field? It's nuclear medicine...which to me, is pretty amazing. When I graduate I plan to specialize in MRI technology. This can either be obtained by a one year certificate program or getting a BS degree specializing in radiologic technology (which I plan to do).  Not only does it make a crap-load of money, it has set and steady hours, and it's something I will love to do.

What about my job? Well, Gary supports my decision to do what I need to do. If I find myself too overwhelmed with school, I have permission to leave if necessary. So there ya have it. Emilee is finally jumping on board and taking action.

2 comments:

carrin said...

good for you! Let Quinn know I don't know if he read the blogs. :)

Carla said...

Woo-hoo! There will definitely be times when it gets hard (time, stress, crappy teacher here or there), but you can totally stick with it! I bet you can even beat me to graduation. I'm excited for you.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...