Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The College

  NOTE: I posted a blog earlier today. Read that first to catch up!


  As you have learned, I drove to the college grounds today. First of all, I didn't know Moorpark was in its own little world up in the mountains. It may have been just the route I took, but it's really beautiful there.
 There are 3 different ways of getting there. The 5 to the 405 to the 118, the 5 to the 118, or the 126 to the 23. Naturally, I took the 126 because there's hardly any traffic. Well, I probably won't go that way anymore. It's about 30 miles away but it took me an hour.

 I didn't know the 23 was a mountain climb. After 10-15 minutes, I thought for sure I missed something and was certain I was just heading up the mountains. It felt like I was driving to the cabin (for those of you who know those roads). I pulled over, pulled out my map to verify, but for sure it told me to keep going. So, I did. Finally, I saw a sign, "Welcome to Moorpark" and a city appeared out of nowhere. It's a  beautiful area and I was almost overwhelmed with the sudden appearance of life and buildings. So, I followed the road until I reached the campus. I spent a small amount of time walking the grounds and getting a feel of everything from the fountains to the walkways and parks. Unfortunately I can't see the counselor for at least 10 days, but I'm not too worried. Even if most of the classes are full, at least I can get some out of the way if I have to. 

Shot from the academic building. Most of the buildings are up the hills behind me












Finally after my little self-guided tour, I headed back to my car and decided to take a different route. Since the 118 entrance was literally right there, I took that instead and took it to the 405/5. I realized it was 20-25 minutes less than the 126 route. I'll stick to this one from now on.

I also was almost very tempted to change my major when I discovered something awesome about the college.

  That above me would be the college zoo. Yes, a zoo. Everything from lions, tigers, hyenas, lemurs to spider monkeys (true that), to all other sorts of monkeys, exotic birds, alligators and other awesome animals. They said there's about 150 applicants to the zoo program but they can only accept 50. Ah, well.

  Okay, that's that. Time for dinner!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I took the 126 to the 23 once to get to work in order to avoid a big crash, and it was most definitely the long scenic route! Very pretty though. :) Such a big step going back to college, but I'm sure you'll do great! Just don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out TAs or other tutors if need be... I had to do that with a lot of my general ed classes and they were so helpful! Good luck, and keep us updated!!

carrin said...

I could have told you that, lol dad and I took that route when Quinn was looking into that college for his zoology, it was between that school and Friends, he chose Friends because it is a 4 year university, what a drive, beautiful but steep, we also came back the 118.

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...