Saturday, February 1, 2014

All Moved In!

   Gary and I are officially moved in to our new place! We expected our internet to be hooked up that same day (last Saturday the 25th), but the custodial crew locked up the access room- and maintenance refused to open it because it was a Saturday and they were off that day. So unfortunately, we had to wait until last night to get our internet up and running. So!

So far so good. In honesty, it's been a bit overwhelming to be in a new city, surrounded by new people. It's not as, well, relaxed as Santa Clarita. It's definitely faster paced and I found myself a little stressed during the week just trying to find parking for places I wanted to be. Luckily the main shopping areas we go to have lots, but still. It's something we definitely have to get used to. New restaurants to try out, finding out where everything is, etc. The week has been somewhat exhausting getting everything together, figuring things out, and turning in the keys to our old place for good.

The move itself was fine- lots of people showed up to help and apparently someone from our new ward is a professional mover, so the move-in was fast. My dad and I had run to the store and to pick up lunch, and when we came back, everything was moved from the truck into the apartment. Neat! I felt a bit helpless as I tried to unload, but got scolded when I'd pick up something big or heavy. So I just tried to grab the small things and help organize things. I tried.

Throughout the week, when I'd come home from work, I'd go through boxes, unpack, and make our place look more like a home. We spent most of the day after doing this. That Sunday was definitely busy! We didn't get to meet our new ward yet because we were up really late the night before and I wasn't feeling too good. As you know, a tragedy in our home happened, but that will be in a different post all together (not baby related- he is perfect!).


The good things? It's quiet here, the neighbors are friendly (and young like us), and there's a lot to do around here as we're close to shopping areas and the bigger cities. We discovered we're close to Ikea and took our first visit there. We found a beautiful crib which converts into a toddler bed for $89. The one we were looking at on Amazon was $170. So, we bought it! We were impressed with the furniture and prices, so it might be our new favorite for now. Big stores overwhelm me, but I still liked it. We also ran into a nice couple who had a new baby, and after chatting with them for awhile, exchanged numbers. Looks like I already made a new mom friend! So many young people here! A lot of hipsters, yes, but not all of them are!

We love the new place so far. We love the space it provides us and we're looking forward to really decorating the nursery once we get everything together. So, here are a few pictures of the place. It's been decorated a bit more (especially the dining room table) since, but good enough.



Real dining room this time! We do actually have 4 matching chairs, but we just did this for now.


Kitchen- surprisingly more storage space than we thought!


Living Room part 1


Living Room part 2


Nursery in progress! Still have some work to do ;)

 We definitely love the space and storage place this apartment provides. There's 2 giant closets in each bedroom, a couple of hallway closets, plus a storage closet on the patio outside. Works for us! It's also nice having 2 bathrooms and showers again.

Anyway, thank you everyone who came to help! It really meant a lot to us. Now time to enjoy our weekend! Bye!



1 comment:

Megan said...

So glad to hear the move went well and that you're slowly settling into your new place! We went to Elephant Bar yesterday and drove past the Promenade and I said to Josh, "It makes me kind of sad knowing the Pollocks aren't there anymore..." I know we didn't get to see you guys a whole lot since we moved out, but I was looking forward to having play dates with our little boys! ;) We'll still have to figure out time to have get togethers. :) And I love IKEA! Glad you were able to find some good deals there!

Growing Up

  So...time slows down, when? It has to sometime, right?   I missed posting in the month of May, where two pretty big days took place!  ...